Thursday, July 1, 2010

Good Things DO Happen in This Allergic Life!!


Present day posting.

Okay, so yesterday was kind of a big deal for us and I have ....... skin testing RESULTS!!!

So I will skip the details for now and get to the nitty gritty:

Dogs - Negative (really though, we knew this)
Cats - Barely allergic (YAAAAAY! This has gone down!)
Horses -EXTREMELY allergic (awwww *pouts*)
All grasses - Negative
Juniper Pine Trees - EXTREMELY allergic (Boooo...those things are all OVER CO :( )

Now on to the biggies; foods.

Fish - Negative (we've always been told to avoid til she is older, yaaaay)
Shrimp - Negative (Also been avoiding)
Crab - Negative (Yaaaaay! Same as above, also been avoiding)
Wheat - Negative (Oh. My. Goodness! YES!)
Soy - Negative (WHAT?! YES!)
Peanuts - Positive, but not extremely allergic (Um...WHAT does this mean for us???!!!)

Now for the details. What does all of this mean for us? Well, the trees...those are an issue, but one for now that we can avoid at least somewhat. Wheat and Soy we can now move on to food challenges for! This in of itself is just huge for us. After the challenges prove she is not allergic to either wheat or soy....my girl can have her very first ham/turkey or whatever and cheese HOLD the mayo sandwich! No, my almost 5 year old daughter has never in her life had a sandwich....this is huge! This can open up a door to so many exciting new foods for Liv and our household! You see, whatever she is allergic to, we rarely or never eat.

Now, that peanut result is bigger news than I was prepared for. Olivia is STILL severely allergic to it if ingested or inhaled, but now if I were to eat a peanut and forgot to wash my hands (okay, so that is unlikely but you get what I'm saying), she will probably just get hives. We can also probably start the process of doing food challenges on PEANUTS!! While I keep my hopes to a minimum, her Dr tells me with a smirk (he is so awesome...seriously), "by the end of summer she may only be avoiding eggs and tree nuts....screw the school wanting to hold out on her for having too many allergies now." I loved that. For those that don't know, I'm currently entangled with the district about her going to school and what they HAVE to do for Liv vs what they WANT to do for her. This has been huge and I will write about that too. The Office of Civil Rights has even had to be contacted about all of this.

So, you might be wondering why I'm so excited, or if you have a FA child, you KNOW why I am so excited. Making any steps toward progress is a God send and in my life....a miracle. I feel so vindicated right now! Over the past years I've struggled with finding my voice in all of this. I've realized that Dr.'s don't know everything and it's absolutely okay for me to question them on everything. They hate me, I'm sure. Well maybe all but her current team of doc's that is. I've found that fighting for my daughter has finally paid off! You see, the allergist Liv is seeing now, she's only been seeing him for maybe two months and in two months he has turned my little girls world into one she can truly LIVE in!

**Due to the high numbers in her tree nut and egg blood work, plus her having anaphylactic reactions to eggs; Olivia was NOT skin tested for tree nuts or eggs...for safety reasons**

***I am proud to say Liv handled the testing with nothing but a positive attitude! She knew to not scratch and she didn't even try! We played the Lady Bug game the whole time and the nurses said they are going to buy a few sets of that game for kids in future testings. We CAN make change....even with the experts!***

Photobucket
She would pick this as her game piece ;)

Photobucket
This was after her skin test and they were awesome enough to numb her arms for blood work (that didn't end up getting drawn...)
I'm working on re-sizing these pics -- sorry about the size!

2 comments:

  1. WOOOOOHOOOO that is awesome news Billie!!!! -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly! We're super excited for all of this good news! :)

    ReplyDelete