Sunday, July 4, 2010

Just How Do I Re-Pay Those Dedicated to Saving Liv's Life??

Yes, those who read this KNOW I am anything, but opposed to shameless fund-raising and I do have a favor to ask my friends, family and anybody reading this out there.

If you aren't the parent of a food allergic child, chances are you've never heard of KFA aka Kids With Food Allergies . If you ARE the parent of a FA child, or are close to a FA child, then you probably have heard of KFA. This is an organization beyond anything I could ever imagine! They are one of the leading organizations when it comes to researching food allergies and above all supporting those of us living WITH food allergies. This isn't an easy way of life, but it is do-able. If you've read my previous post about how I first coped with Liv's diagnosis, you know I was anything but okay with this. If you haven't read this post, go HERE. Without KFA, well...I don't want to THINK where we could be! I've been receiving their alert e-mails for as far back as I can remember now. If I had not been getting those e-mails I would never have known that Tempera Paint (an EXTREMELY common paint used in Kindergarten and Pre-School classrooms) posed a huge threat to my child! You see, a lot of learning tools contain allergens...some of which are deadly to my daughter. Surely you can see how important this cause is to me and my family and even Liv's teachers...past, present and future.

If not for the KFA support forums, I would not have met some of the WONDERFUL women I know that are also in this battle to keep our children alive. This world is a minefield for some of our kids, and it's nice to know there is support to help you along the way. I now attend MOSAIC meetings once a month...that is "Mothers Of Severely Allergic Infants and Children. I found out about this group from a local mom on one of the support forums. Through them, I've learned all I need to know when fighting the schools and district to keep them safe for Liv. I've learned our rights and that this is actually a Civil Rights issue because our children are considered disabled. Hard pill to swallow, finding out your child is actually considered disabled, but there again are the support forums to help cope. With this group of mothers in MOSAIC I've learned to find my voice. I've found it at times in frustration, but I've learned HOW to vocalize my concerns in a way that is heard, not blown off. This all brings me to right now and where we are now, had I not voiced my concerns in ER's, Dr.'s offices, and even Liv's previous allergist I might never have found the team of Dr.'s she now has. She has an allergist that voluntarily took her case from another Dr. at National Jewish. This is almost unheard of, but after a trip to the ER, he called us...on a Sunday morning from home to check on Liv. I voiced my frustrations and right then and there he agreed to put Liv on his watch. He pushed time in where he really had no time to see her, he called multiple times before her appt to check in on her...amazing. Within two months of having this Dr, Liv's Eczema is under control and we're moving towards eliminating some of her allergies! Yes, all of this has been the workings of KFA.

I ask myself all the time, how in the world could I ever re-pay this organization for all they've done for us...let alone what they do for so many more?! Well, I pay them back in a couple of ways, we walk for them. Every year we collect your generous donations HERE.

Just recently, I've been given another way to help pay them back and I need help from all of you. You see, Chase is doing a competition of sorts on Facebook. They are having people go to their Facebook app and vote on the small organizations to receive a donation from Chase. This donation would mean that one organization with the MOST votes gets a donation of $250k, 4 runner up organizations would receive $100k and 195 other organizations will be given $20k! This is HUGE guys and could do so much for KFA! If you're wondering what this has to do with you, here's where that comes in. All it takes is a few moments of your time. Go to the Chase App here, once you've done that you will need to "like" their app. The rest is simple, you type Kids With Food Allergies into the search field and it will take you to the right link, from there you can VOTE away! Each individual is given 20 votes so please, share this with your friends and vote for us!



This has been my shameless fund-raising for the day! Wouldn't you if this were your child in this fight?

Photobucket


Our love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment