Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Unknown and Uneventful

I believe that I last left off with throwing foods across my kitchen...

It was at this point in time that I began to regroup and head into the unknown. Yes, I knew what I had to avoid and thought I knew how. I had NO earthly idea just how HARD this task was going to be. I mean when you think about it...a one year old that can't have cheerios, any cereal other than rice and corn chex were out, any fast food (because at the time there was really no such a thing as places posting allergy info...that is still hard to come by), pasta, mac & cheese, Gerber snacks and meals....the list goes on...I mean really...WHAT do you feed a one year old that is so restricted? A lot of home cooking is what you will feed them! I began making Sunday a cooking day. I'd cook chicken and rice with veggies, chicken, cheese and again..rice. I'd feed her lots of meats, cheeses, fruits and veggies...I made this all in bulk and would freeze small containers of her meals to make life easier on me. You know those days when you just pop a frozen meal in the microwave? I made our own...I felt so...so INVENTIVE, ha! In reality, I think I just felt like I was gaining control on this disease. I was going to live with it as if it were second nature or a second skin.

I was blessed to have such great friends around in a time that I had no family around. They got to know Liv's allergies as if she were their own. In a life where spontaneous barbecues were a way of life; they were amazing. They would stop making foods like Deviled Eggs or anything else that would cause severe danger for Liv, they would explain to others about her allergies and to please refrain from bringing certain foods. I couldn't have been luckier in what could have been a sad/lonely situation.

And so passes a pretty uneventful year. No further signs of reactions, the eczema was still just as bad as ever, but that was "normal", sadly.

Next blog will begin in the Fall of 2007......

No comments:

Post a Comment