Tuesday, June 29, 2010

That Wacky Mother's Intuition Strikes Again

Who knew re-visiting the past could break you, emotionally? Just for a bit, but yeesh!

So...we were in the fall of 2007 when I last wrote (about the past anyway).

The remainder of 2007 was pretty uneventful. Well, uneventful by MY terms and the terms of a lot of other FA families. By uneventful, I mean ER trips were about once maybe twice a month and nothing extraordinary, just typical hives, breathing issues (not serious ones though) and colds attacking Liv's respiratory system. The first half of 2008 was similar to the last half of 2007. Usual ER trips, missed work, lost job due to missing work for Liv (No matter, I didn't want that job anyway *sticks out tongue* and quickly found another *THANKFULLY* :) ). Something stood out though during all this "normalcy", I kept hearing the doctors remark about her tonsils. At first, I thought nothing of this, but after about the billionth time hearing it (that's a lie, it was more like the 6th time), I couldn't shake it from my brain.

Late summer 2008, I took Liv to see the pediatrician. Once again, in hopes of getting that "ever elusive referral, but this time to an ENT. After all the comments about Liv's tonsils and looking at them myself (hello HUGE!), I decided an expert needed to see these suckers. Once again (gosh, I wish this wasn't such a repetitive scenario), I was told I was wrong. The pediatrician took a look and said they were large, yes, but nothing should really be done about them. He told me that while Tonsils were at one time removed at the drop of the hat, they really try to avoid that now. I was also advised that unless her tonsils were touching, they wouldn't see them as a threat to Liv's health. I was not about to go through this nonsense yet again. Remember the whole "do NOT underestimate a mother's intuition?" Yeah, file this situation under THAT. I'm pretty sure I sighed...loudly; I do this right before a confrontation that is going to be uncomfortable for me. At this point I recall standing up and saying, "my child has DEADLY food allergies...allergies that cause her to swell and stop BREATHING, you're going to tell me that her enlarged tonsils don't even remotely concern you?!" What I got in return to this out of character behavior (for me), was a hesitant smirk then...,"Alright. I will write the referral, but when they say nothing is wrong...be sure to come and see me." Uh, seriously?! Did he JUST say that to me? He is giving in and writing it?! Who cares about his sarcasm, he gave us the referral after round ONE! NICE! I called and put Liv on the 3 month waiting list and made the appointment with an ENT at The Children's Hospital here in Denver.

Fall 2008...It's GO TIME, or....ENT time! We sat in the waiting room for what seemed like an eternity. Really, we waited for an overbearingly long time. Once we were seen though, it all happened so quickly. We did the usual weight, height and temp check, went through her list of medicines. The nurse responded to her medicine list like they all do, "Really? That many medicines for one tiny little girl?" Yep, that many...it's true. Anyway, eventually we're greeted by a warm and super friendly Dr. I could have hugged her she was so people friendly. She asked a set of questions: Does Olivia snore? Yes. Does Olivia wake in the middle of the night and if so....is it often? Yes...and it is every night. Does she need long naps still? Yes. Does she perspire in her sleep? She wakes up soaking wet in sweat. Q&A ends and the Dr takes a quick look inside Liv's little mouth. She quickly pulls away and says, "We rank tonsils on a scale of 1-4, 1 being barely there and 4 being touching. Olivia is a 3 almost a 4. In my opinion, they need to go, even if she didn't have food allergies I would say this." Now, let me preface this next sentence by saying, I do not love seeking out illnesses for my child. Okay, VALIDATION, don't underestimate what a mother knows about her child. Nobody knows your child and their health/symptoms like their momma.

I think this is a good point to sum this post up. Liv's father and myself quickly discussed whether or not to do the surgery. I say quickly because well...it was a no brainer. Surgery set for Dec of 2008 and that is where I shall resume in this catch up process.

PS, for those wondering, I DID in fact go and visit the referral giving Dr as agreed upon ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment