Saturday, February 4, 2012

Is There a Convenient Time for All Hell to Break Loose?

There we were starting the day off like any other - except it wasn't like any other...it was a *snow day*. Living in Colorado, we don't often get snow days, but when we're in the middle of a record setting snow storm, we get a snow day. I had so many cool things planned (thank you Pinterest!) for the day, but first breakfast. I asked the kids what they wanted and Liv pointed to the kiwi on the counter. I cut it open and we shared each having half, but Liv was in love and wanted another. It was at this moment that I thought and thought, but could not recall whether or not she'd ever had kiwi before. I didn't ponder that thought for too long as it didn't occur to me to worry about it much.

Can you see where I'm going here and find what I did wrong? For so long even in our crazy food allergic world, we've lived with a false sense of security. This false sense of comfort was because we've known Liv's "List" for so long now that outside of the usual worries, I never stopped to think about a new food being introduced (especially at age 6).

Anyway, back to the story at hand. Liv loved every single thing about this perfectly ripe kiwi and was washing her hands when I noticed some slight reddening of her face - but nothing serious. This moment is when I thought to myself, "CRAP! I just gave my daughter a food that I cannot recall her ever having before....in the middle of a blizzard!!! WHAT was I thinking?!" This thinking had to be pushed aside by rational thought and talking it through with her dad...I mean, Liv has NEVER had any issues of any kind with fruits - ever. How could I have known. Since Liv is also fighting off quite the cold, I called her allergist's triage dept and asked what they thought I should do. Given the fact that Liv was talking, no other symptoms were presenting, they told me to get albuterol in her and stay put (remember...the snow outside was busy breaking a 100 year old record) since we live an hour away. The nurse wanted me to call back 20 minutes after the breathing treatment so I could update them with our situation. Well, it was between that treatment and calling back that Liv started clearing her throat non-stop and telling me that it felt like it was "clogged". Again, I'm wondering how much of this is virus related vs reaction, but send my son for a neighbor to help hold Liv while I administer Epi. As the neighbor ran in (we're talking seconds here) and held Liv, Liv started chewing her lip and letting me know it was stinging - I knew then without a doubt what was going on. Then, for the first time in our food allergic journey, I used my daughter's Epi-Pen on her. As soon as I removed the Epi-Pen from Liv's thigh, I dialed 9-1-1 and was promptly transferred to the WRONG fire dept. I can neither confirm nor deny whether or not my potty mouth was in full effect at this point (unless Liv decides to quote me...) - at any rate, I got to the *right* fire dept and gave our info. They got to use in 5-10 minutes which is amazing if you consider the weather.

I've gotta say, from the moment I gave the Epi until we got on the ambulance and drove off, everything was so clear and textbook. While waiting on the ambulance, I even took the time to call Liv's allergist and update them, texted Liv's dad and second mom, instructed Tai on what to do after we left/made plans with the neighbor for him to go up to her place...it was a really crazy moment of extreme clarity. That clarity went out the window when we started up the first hill and promptly slid to the side of the road, fish-tailed up the rest of the hill, got cut off by cars that were on the road (for God knows why) that couldn't stop, started sliding down another hill...you get the picture. I couldn't sit in back with Liv so there was nothing I could do for her at this point, but I had to stop looking out the window (for fear of a sudden onset of panic), so I decided that updating Facebook from the ambulance was the best distraction. It's funny, the way our brain works in emergencies.

Everything went as it should, as far as the Anaphylaxis - the Epi-Pen turned the reaction around immediately. Once the Epi wore off, all symptoms came back except for the throat closing off (thank goodness!). After two back to back breathing treatments, a dose of oral steroids and a second dose of Benadryl - we just waited and watched. After three hours or so, the ER doctor confirmed that I was okay with leaving and we were released from the ER.

Photobucket
Liv's face after the Epi-Pen was given.


Getting home proved another journey, but we got a ride home, I collected Liv's brother and we went home to a wonderfully uneventful rest of the day. I wish I could say that I got rest last night, alas, I did not. My anxiety levels, I fear, have hit an all new high. I'm sure that has to be normal and even somewhat expected though. Guess I'll just ride it out for the time being and see where this new road leads.

Until next time....be well, be mindful and be ALERT for these food allergic kiddos!

Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment