Saturday, September 4, 2010

In a Split Second, The World Can Crash Down On Us.....

You know, it recently occurred to me that I haven't written about Liv's most recent trip to the hospital. I can't believe I've left this story out, it's a whopper!

It was the first week in April. This past April (2010), actually. It all started off like any normal day. Liv was about fully recovered from having the Chicken Pox the week prior. I took her to her daycare where she took off playing right away.

That morning at work, I had to keep my cell phone put away because our VP was coming in for the day (of all the stinking days!). I don't know if it was mommy intuition, but at some point in the morning I felt a frantic need to get to my phone. I pulled it out and turned it on, only to see I had missed about 7 phone calls from Liv's teacher. At this point I was as close to a panic as I get (I don't panic often) and ran off to the restroom to call the teacher back. She stated that Liv was extremely itchy and developing hives on her face, none on her body. In an attempt to stay calm, I just told the teacher to give her Benadryl and keep her talking. Keep her talking because if she is talking comfortably, then she is breathing normally. She agreed and texted a picture of Liv's face so I had a visual on how things were going along.

Photobucket
Not even a full minute later the teacher was calling me back. What I heard next put my brain into a full frenzy..."Billie, when Liv gets breaks out...does she always play with her cheeks...like puff them out?" Before I could answer she told me Liv was playing with her tongue and biting her lips. This is it, I thought...a moment I've always prepared myself for, the moment I said, "Call 911 and give her the Epi....NOW." I heard myself say it, I thought for about 2 seconds before saying it, but it was so surreal. Here I was putting our emergency plans into action and I felt like I was moving in slow motion. I stayed there in the bathroom making sure to run through how to use the epi with the teacher and to call 911 first so they knew she was going to need an ambulance with Epi on board (did you know not all ambulances carry this life saving drug????!!). I told her to call me after giving the shot...I couldn't listen on the phone as she was calling 911 from the other line, more importantly I couldn't listen to my daughter scream when she was being prepped and injected. I am a super hero mom sometimes, this was not one of them.

"It's GO time!" I say that phrase a lot when it's time for something big to happen. As I gathered my wits and left the bathroom, I told my co-worker, "It's GO time, I gotta go..." She knew right away what that meant and locked up my desk for me. I ran by my boss and the VP, told them Liv was being transported to the hospital by ambulance, tossed them my keys and flew out of the door.

What do I do? Who do I call first? What is the quickest way to the hospital...WAIT, WHICH hospital am I racing to?! Oh God.....I feel this is a good time to send up a REALLY quick prayer...please be with my little girl and if you have one to spare, send an angel her way, you know...to let her know I'm on my way and keep her calm? These are just half of the thoughts that I poured through my brain as I jumped in my car and just started driving. I worked about an hour east from our home so I just jumped on the HWY and started driving west. I figured I'd get a call any minute telling me WHERE exactly I was going. There, one problem solved...sort of. THEN I called my ex-husband, no answer. Crap. I called him back, still no answer. Crap again. I called him AGAIN, he is active duty in the Army and I know sometimes he can't answer, I also knew if I called a few times in a row back to back he would get it and FIND a way to pick up the phone. This third time was the charm, he answered. "What's wrong????" I explained the situation...I don't remember word for word what was said, but I remember him asking if I was okay...that was the first time it all hit me, I was driving (at unmentionable speeds) and now I was crying, "no...no, I'm not okay." I remember him talking calmly and telling me I needed to calm down for Liv. I understood what he was saying and in that moment, those were the words I needed to hear. I hung up with him to see if I could find out where Liv was being taken. I called her teacher back only to hear all the sirens when she answered. Talk about a mind numbing moment in time. Once I knew where I was going, I needed to make arrangements for Tai. I called my parents, no answer. CRAP, not AGAIN! I called my mom's work, she wasn't there. Noooo! I called my dad again. No answer. At this point, I was exhausting all of the calm I had left in me. Suddenly it occurred to me to call my parents neighbors (they are close family friends and have been for years) the husband answers, thank goodness! He tells me that he will run over to my parents house and leave a note to call him right away or go over and he would let them know everything. He would also go pick Tai up from my place when the bus dropped him off. Okay, ex called...check, found out which hospital I was racing to...check, a plan in place for Tai...check. All of this took place in such little time, I'm still amazed to think about it.

I was finally at the hospital and RUNNING to the ER. The woman at the desk explained that there was no one with my daughter's name admitted yet. WHAT?!! No, this cannot be right..they told me THIS is where they would be. No sooner than I asked her to check again, she received a phone call. She looked up and put up a finger telling me to hold on a moment. She hangs up to tell me that she can't be certain it's my daughter, but there was a little girl en route that fit the situation I had described to her and they were about to pull up now. I heard the sirens as the ambulance approached. They pulled up and it was like being in a movie, I RAN to the glass and ripped the blinds to the side so I could see if that was MY little girl that was "en route". I swear it took forever (okay, about 30 seconds) to get out and unload her, it was my Liv they were pulling out on a stretcher. I could SEE her, finally with my own eyes...I could SEE her! I turned toward the doors to the area where all the rooms are and readied myself to charge through them...only they didn't open and a rather large male nurse had me in his arms before I could make another step...crap. I still had to wait. Finally she was wheeled by, he checked my ID and ran with behind a growing group of people also following her. We reached the room they would be assigning her to, the crowd of people only seemed to grow when we entered. I had fire rescue introducing themselves along with EMT's in training, Doctors, nurses, people from registration and even a Chaplin...yep, a Chaplin was put in place for Liv's arrival. I would later find out that on the way to the hospital she stopped breathing and was given a second dose of Epi. The crowd waiting for her was because she was in serious trouble and they needed a room that would accommodate whatever needed to be done. They had an intubation kit on the ready as well as a host of other equipment.

Anyway, the crowd thinned, eventually and Liv...what a stellar patient. She was so calm and strong. She answered all the questions they asked her and just handled herself as if she were so much older. I think God sent her the angel I asked for. She was given an IV for her steroids and fluids. Liv was responding to the second dose of Epi and the multiple doses of Benadryl she was given.

There is more to this story, but I think this is going to be one of those multiple part postings, this has been plenty long for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment