Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Little Things That Get You Thinking



So today, I was reading a friends Facebook status and it was about her child's school having some pretty severe dietary guidelines for their lunches. Now, this was not in relation to food allergies, but more of a Food Revolution gone too far type of thing. The thing that most interested me were the comments to this. Not all of the comments as a lot were just about their child being picky and starving throughout the day. There was, however, a comment about a parent being thankful her child's school was not a peanut free school as her son LIVES on PB&J. So, this gets me thinking that Liv's school is not peanut free either and how many other parents just pack up multiple PB&Js for their children? I don't know how I feel about somebody being thankful for a food allergy family's misfortune. I don't want you to take that statement too far though. I don't believe peanut free solves much of anything because not all kids are just allergic to peanuts and if we're going to make a school peanut free, then why not milk free, then egg free, then wheat/gluten free, then soy free or corn free. You see where I'm going with this, peanut free is not the end all be all solution for us. At ANY rate, I was thinking...just HOW many peanut products are floating around these non peanut free schools and HOW would this parent or others like her react IF their school, or heck even just their classroom were to go peanut free?

The next comment read something to the effect that as a parent they should be able to choose whatever food they choose for their child and that they do not need a school system telling them what their child "will and will not eat." So, as a FA mother, I try not to read between the lines of this statement (after all, there might not be anything BETWEEN them). I would hope, that if it came down to it, and her child had a FA child in their classroom that she would react differently. What if she wouldn't though? What if she still wanted to send her choice of peanut/tree nut or egg filled delights for her child? In MY case, Liv's 504 and Civil Rights protect her from this kind of act, but what if? What if a parent of Liv's classmates reacts this way? I like to think that I'm a "big picture" kind of person and realize that my child's restrictions are infringing on the choices of others, but come on...my child's life vs your "choice"? I'm just not sure how I would react to this if approached with it.

All of this said, I have no real conclusion to this post. I'm not sure how I feel about a boat load of peanut or any other toxic foods (they ARE toxic to my child, so that is what I call them) floating around outside of my daughter's safe little bubble that is her Kindergarten room (bathroom is even in the classroom). I know they are floating around in her world outside of school, but I can control and contain that world any way I so choose for her. I. AM. A. CONTROL. FREAK. I don't know how I feel about that parent that will (eventually I will run into at least one) get that "why-does-my-child-have-to-suffer-because-of-your-kids-allergy" mentality, but I will say that my perseverance knows no bounds and my heart is my children. I will say that when it comes to the battle of wills over a child missing out on some probably not-healthy-at-all-treats, I will invite them into my world. I will show them the pictures of my baby during a reaction, I will show them her countless pages of hospital records, I will show them whatever necessary to see that my child DYING trumps their child missing out. I think this safely concludes my rant today, don't you?

*I guess I was in a ranty (YES, I use the word "ranty" even though it's NOT a word, and I love it) kind of mood. Sometimes it's hard living in our world, and sometimes I don't have all the strength it takes to always be tactful. I won't apologize for that, but I will thank you for bearing with me.*

3 comments:

  1. Billie - I've said it before and I'll repeat it now - whatever you have to do to protect your child's life then you do it - become that MOMMA BEAR and who cares what other people think or if some idiot gets pissy or offended by your "overprotective" self. When we got the letter from Sophie's school principal stating that their is a child in her class with a life-threatening peanut/tree nut allergy I immediately went through our box of snacks for school and pulled out everything that is not safe so I know what I can send in. The principal wants the classroom nut free and I totally respect that. (The cafeteria has a nut-free table for children who have nut allergies to eat at each day so they don't have to worry about touching nuts.) I'm sure that the principal will have to reiterate this when it comes time for holiday treats and birthdays, but her letter made it very clear that snacks/treats with nuts in them will not be allowed. Our Curriculum Night is tomorrow night, so I'll have to let you know if any parents act like an ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read on your FB page that Liv's school is now Peanut butter free? they use Sun butter (or wahtever it is, i can't remember the name)? That's AWESOME!!!!! That's a big step for that school and hopefully they'll put more awareness for other parents coming into the school or that are already in the school that have FA kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I love hearing how concerned you are for the allergic children in your school! It gives me hope, although I know you've lived with it as well so you totally understand it. Thanks for reassuring me when it comes to my ranting :)
    Devon, its not quite peanut/peanut butter free, BUT a tiny part of me thinks they're moving in that direction! The cafeteria no longer makes PB&J, they use Sunbutter in place of peanut butter which is a step in them taking precautions and understanding. I'm not going to lie, I can't say that i , myself, am for or against peanut free though. That is a tough subject for me to get a handle on....:)

    ReplyDelete